Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Power of Female Beauty celebrated in the Black Eyed Peas’ song “My Humps”


Amongst the most influential celebrations of the power of female beauty in recent art is the Black Eyed Peas’ foot-stomper “My Humps”. For women, their beauty is their power. Men are in a thrall to women because of it – on its account men will do anything, endure anything, suffer any level of humiliation.

All of which raises an interesting feminist question – should women exploit this power to the full? Is that the feminist thing to do? Or is it inherently sexist that women need to rely on this in order to get what they want from life? Should authentic feminists (among whom I count myself) strive to attain a world in which it is not necessary for women to use their beauty in order to get what they want?

It’s a tricky question, and I don’t have all the answers. All I would say to women is: use your beauty wisely.

In the meantime ponder the timeless lyrics of this majestic tune:

What you gon' do with all that junk?
All that junk inside that trunk?
I'ma get, get, get, get, you drunk,
Get you love drunk off my hump.
What you gon' do with all that ass?
All that ass inside them jeans?
I'm a make, make, make, make you scream
Make you scream, make you scream.
Cos of my hump (ha), my hump, my hump, my hump (what).
My hump, my hump, my hump (ha), my lovely lady lumps (Check it out)

She's got me spending.
(Oh) Spendin' all your money on me and spending time on me.
She's got me spendin'.
(Oh) Spendin' all your money on me, up on me, on me

No comments:

Post a Comment