Friday, February 19, 2010

Twitter to Blogs: “You are so yesterday”



Just when I thought I had got to the bottom of this whole blog thing, along comes Twitter to mess with my head. What is the point of it? People keep saying to me “Websites and blogs are so old fashioned, Brian. You need to move on to Twitter. That’s where all the young, funky people are hanging out these days. Blogs are for fuddy duddies. You might as well be a medieval monk writing an illuminated manuscript on calfskin, or chipping out cuneiform characters onto a clay tablet in Ancient Sumeria.”

I’ve lost count of the amount of people who have come up to me and said this. It could be as many as zero. Possibly even less.

Personally I’m a bit worried about Twitter. I hear it could be dangerous for one’s mental health. Apparently the “King of Tweeting” Stephen Fry, went into a depressed sulk when someone dared to call his tweets “a bit boring”. But the sulk was only temporary, and Fry is now back tweeting like the bejaysus. This modern day Oscar Wilde has been using the latest “killer app” to share his wit with over a million followers: “To the airport. My damned book almost certainly hasn't been writing itself while I've been here in Barcelona. Curses.” “Breakfast with Horace Luke and John Wang of HTC. Amazing fellows.” “Must be bedtime. Ner-night”. “Happier than a happy person can be that LGG won 3 Brit awards. Raa raa uh-uh aah”. “Flying later. V excited about the Mobile World Congress” “Some models of iPad will have 3G as well as WiFi”.

I dunno. When I read web content of this quality, it makes me want to give up blogging in despair.

[Incidentally, for those of you who aren’t quite as in the with the in-crowd as national treasure Stephen Fry, LGG stands for Lady Gaga, who is a pop star.]

Anyway, I am going to approach Twitter with an open mind. Stay tuned for my final verdict, which I will publish next week.

2 comments:

  1. Methinks you might be a little bit jealous of Stephen Fry and his amazing success in cyberspace

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you're interested in currenet affairs you could subscribe (follow) a couple of news channnels on twitter. A quick glance on your twitter page would give you an update of what's happening.

    ReplyDelete