Thursday, February 12, 2009

12 Reasons why Irish people voted No to the Lisbon Treaty


Apparently the government is planning to have another vote on the Lisbon Reform Treaty later on in the year. If the referendum is to pass, we need to take into consideration the reasons why people voted No the first time. So I went out and asked people who voted No why they did so. I would ask all people who want a Yes vote to not to resort to bully tactics or scare-mongering, but to listen carefully to what the No voters have to say for themselves. Here is what I found:

  • “I’m voting No to Lisbon because Declan Ganley is telling me to vote No. His organisation, Libertas, is supported by American Neocons and British Eurosceptics. These are the kind of people who have always had Ireland’s best interests at heart”.
  • “Newspapers like the Sunday Times and the Daily Mail told me to vote No to Lisbon. I like the idea of Ireland doing the bidding of British Europhobic newspapers while they laugh at us behind our backs for being stupid enough to do their dirty work on their behalf”
  • “I’m voting No to Lisbon because I’ve had it up to here with Brian Cowen. What has Brian Cowen ever done for me? As we all know, this treaty has nothing to do with Europe, or with Ireland’s future. It’s all about Brian Cowen”.
  • “I’m voting No to Lisbon because I haven’t a clue what it’s all about. But whatever it’s about, I’m against it. Nobody is going to pull the wool over my eyes”.
  • “I’m voting No because the German Neo-Nazi party welcomed our first No vote Lisbon. If we vote No again it will make them even happier.”
  • “I’ll be voting No to Lisbon because I stubbed my toe while getting out of the shower this morning. Does anybody care? No. What are the bureaucrats in Brussels going to do about my toe? Nothing. That’s what.”
  • “I’m voting No because I thought the No campaign’s posters were more scary than the Yes campaign’s posters. Even though I’m aware that the No campaign’s posters were a pack of lies, I still admire the way they struck the fear of God into me”.
  • “I’m voting No because the angel Gabriel came to me in a dream and told me that Jesus would vote No”.
  • “I’m voting No because I’m as thick as a plank, and I resent people who are more knowledgeable than me telling me to vote Yes. I will not be patronised like this, even if it means doing the wrong thing”.
  • “I’m voting No because I think it’s in Ireland’s interests to be isolated in Europe and to piss off all our so-called European partners for no reason whatsoever.”
  • “I’m voting No because I don’t want my children to be conscripted into a European army. Our so-called European partners know that without Ireland’s crucial military input, the idea of a co-ordinated European defence policy is a non-starter. So the whole thing is an elaborate plot to undermine our cherished neutrality. Was it for this the wild geese spread the grey wing upon every tide? I don’t think so”.
  • “I’m voting No because the treaty gives Ireland the exact same number of Commissioners as larger countries such as Germany, France and the UK. Personally, I think Ireland should have more Commissioners than everyone else”.
So there you have it folks. Memo to Yes campaigners: ignore these reasons at your peril.

PS: Reader makes it a Baker's Dozen (see comment) : "I'm voting No to Lisbon because of the Potato Famine".

2 comments:

  1. I'm voting no because in 1800 when the potato crop failed, the parliament in Dublin banned the export of food from Ireland, as a result the price of grain in Ireland fell food was redistributed and a major famine was averted.
    Contrast that with 1845 when we no longer had a parliament. We had a few representatives in Westminster, some of whom lobbied for a ban on food exporting from Ireland. They were ignored. Food was exported in vast quantities and people died by the million.

    The moral of the story: power should be kept locally.

    These days the only countries with populations that are pro-Europe are the poor ones trying to get in. In referendums in more developed European nations there is frequently a resounding 'no'. The German government didn't dare have a referendum on the Euro, because they were sure the people would vote no.

    In general people are power hungry. Those involved in running the European Union are no exception. What is worrying is their lack of respect for democracy.

    In a democracy the leaders listen to the people and then server them. In a dictatorship, the leader inflicts his will on the people while ignoring their wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nelnik,

    At first I thought your post was another joke: “I’m voting No because of the potato famine!”.

    In a globalised world, Europe fragmented has little local power at all – all major decisions that affect Europe will be made by other power centres – America, Russia, China and so forth – while Europe stands helplessly by. That’s why American Neocons want to break up the European Union – they know that if there was no European Union, they would be able to bully individual European countries.

    Take a simple example – George Bush slapped tarriffs on European steal. The EU responded collectively by imposing counter tariffs on American goods. America had to back down. Now, without the European Union, non-European countries could target European countries one by one, and they would be too small and helpless to respond.

    Being in Europe increases Ireland’s power, giving us a voice in the decisions which affect us. The European Union has stimulated a kind of regionalism. If you want to keep power locally, then you should support the EU.

    The EU is not a dictatorship - it's ludicrous to suggest that it is . The EU is the freest, most democratic region of the world. According to the Economist’s Intelligence Unit’s Democracy Index, of the 20 most democratic countries in the world, 15 are in Europe. According to Freedom House, every country in the European Union is classified as “Fully Free”. Countries have increased their level of democracy so that they can get into the EU. The EU increases democracy.

    Countries outside the EU want to get in, because the benefits are obvious. Countries that are already in are more likely to take for granted the benefits.

    ReplyDelete