Friday, February 20, 2009

Wisdom of the Ancient Romans:


  • Ignoranti quem portum petat nullus suus ventus est – Seneca (translation: If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favourable).
  • Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit – Cicero (translation: No one dances sober, unless he is insane).
  • Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus – Horace (translation: The mountains will be in labour, and a ridiculous mouse will be brought forth).
  • Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet – Horace (translation: He who feared that he would not succeed sat still)
  • Semper avarus eget – Horace (translation: The covetous man is ever in want).
  • First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do – Epictetus
  • Say to yourself in the early morning: I shall meet today inquisitive, ungrateful, violent, treacherous, envious, uncharitable men. All these things have come upon them through ignorance of real good and ill – Marcus Aurelius
  • There is nothing so ridiculous but some philosopher has said it –Cicero
Do YOU have a problem? Leave an anonymous comment, or send your problem in confidence to brianbarrington@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Dear Brian,

    I find myself worrying about you due to lack of recent postings. Can this mean that your site has carved out a place in my heart? Am I really "there" yet in my relationship with this site?

    It is probably too early to tell. But, but, but...I miss the regular postings.

    I would be fascinated to hear your thoughts on this article - http://www.paulgraham.com/philosophy.html - and I hope that all is well and that the impending nationalisation of AIB is not troubling you too much

    Yours in Christ,

    Ä

    ReplyDelete